You may be more familiar with Jack Herer the strain than Jack Herer the cannabis activist. This hemp hero's upcoming birthday on June 18th is the perfect occasion to learn more about one of the first activists in the fight for legalization. Also known as "The Hemperor," Jack is a famous grass roots organizer and activist whose efforts had monumental influence on cannabis policy in California and around the country. Check out some of our favorite facts about the legend that is Jack Herer.
- The Jack Herer strain was named after Herer to honor his decades-long mission to legalize cannabis and hemp. The popular Sativia Dominant Hybrid was a favorite at the 7th Annual Cannabis Cup.
- June 18th is Jack Herer's Birthday and a popular marijuana holiday. Activists gather worldwide to honor the activist and smoke marijuana as a public statement supporting its legalization.
- Jack wrote a book called 'The Emperor Wears No Clothes' that was originally written on hemp paper in 1985. The book contains information collected over several decades about different uses from cannabis and the guide is still quoted in rescheduling and re-legalization efforts around the word.
- One of Jack's first jobs was as a glassblower making pipes. Jack later owned one of the first head shops in California that briefly operated as a hemp shop too.
- While Herer is known for his cannabis activism, he specifically focused his early efforts on the benefit of hemp and its many uses. He believed it could be used as fuel, food, construction materials, medicine and countless other uses.
- Herer ran for United States President twice, in 1988 and 1992, as the Grassroots Party candidate. His second run was the more successful attempt with 3,875 votes to his name.
- The legend passed away from complications after a heart attack on April 15, 2010. This is especially ironic because Herer had not paid taxes in over 30 years as a form of protest.
In honor of Jack Herer's Birthday on June 18th stock up on the Jack Herer Sativa strain at Higher Leaf in Kirkland and Bellevue. Sign up for our weekly newsletter here to receive info about upcoming deals and Higher Leaf announcements.